Guangdong Technion-Israel Institute of Technology
Job Post –Senior Microbiologists (Molecular Biologists)
Position Title: Senior Microbiologists (Molecular Biologists)
Reporting to: Professor Sima Yaron
Start Date: June 2018
Type of Position: Full time
Number of Hiring: 1
Guangdong Technion Israel Institute of Technology (GTIIT) in Shantou, Guangdong Province, is looking for an experienced PhD in Microbiology and/or Food Microbiology to serve as manager of teaching laboratories for undergraduate students and to perform research in relevant projects in the newly opened institute.
The incumbent is responsible for establishing and running new teaching laboratories (General Microbiology or Food Microbiology); preparing and operating the laboratory; student training; teaching new users in operating the equipment, responsibility for laboratory infrastructure and safety issues; participating in research projects.
The "General Microbiology" lab includes basic techniques in microbiology, staining, microscopy, preparing media, bacterial enumeration, bacterial growth, bacterial systematic and taxonomy, antimicrobial activity, bacteriophages, bacterial spores, basic immunology.
The "Food Microbiology" lab includes a large variety of traditional and advanced methods for isolation of microorganisms from food, mycology, yeasts, bacteria, food spoilage, fermentations, preservation, pathogenic microorganisms in food, and molecular biology techniques such as PCR, SDS-PAGE, and Electroporation.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Assisting in choosing and purchasing of proper equipment/materials for the labs, installing and testing them.
· Taking care of safety issues in the lab.
· Assisting the faculty member in charge of the lab (“the Professor”) in designing of laboratory experiments for students.
· Assisting the Professor in writing the lab instructions for the students, and testing the experiments before introducing them to the students.
· Writing operation manuals of the instruments for the teaching assistant and the undergraduate students.
· Preparing microorganisms, chemicals, instruments and setups for the labs.
· Taking care of lab program and schedule during the semester.
· Responsibility of running the labs for students.
· Being present during the lab sessions and solving technical problems.
· Providing support to the lab assistants before the lab and during the lab.
· Assisting the Professor in following students’ progress and grades.
· Taking care of lab maintenance and keeping the lab facilities operational and ready for use.
· Supervising the work of the lab technicians.
· Taking care of routine administrative tasks related to the lab.
· During the student vacations and/or semesters free of teaching labs, the lab manager is requested to participate in research projects carried out by faculty members.
· Ph.D. degree in Microbiology/Biotechnology/Biology or related fields.
· Excellent knowledge and deep understanding of the material in the relevant courses.
· Fluent English: speaking, reading and writing.
· High management skills
· Teaching experience, preferably in English is an advantage.
· Experience in working with a large variety of relevant instruments and methods.
· Good communication and educational skills.
· Ability of reading scientific papers and adopting procedures.
· Ability of solving technical problems in the lab.
· Excellent organizational and time management skills; strong attention to detail and ability to follow through
· The position is in GTIIT for a period of at least three years.
· Traveling to the Technion in Haifa, Israel for a training period before the labs start.
Please send the following documents to email@example.com in the format of name + position.
- English Curriculum vitae
- Two letters of recommendation (one from the mentor for PhD and/or MSc studies)
- Degree certificates with English translation
- A short statement about how your application matches the above given selection criteria
Only qualified candidates will be contacted.
The Guangdong Technion-Israel Institute of Technology (GTIIT) is a Sino-foreign cooperative educational institution established by Shantou University (STU) and Technion-Israel Institute of Technology (Technion) with independent legal person status. The university is located in the city of Shantou, Guangdong Province.
GTIIT aims to introduce world-class engineering education resources to promote innovative reform of education in China, encourage high-tech industries of Israel to move into Shantou and Guangdong, bring more innovative and competitive research to Guangdong and China.